Sunday, November 11, 2007

Week 6: Item 15

This section on Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 was one of my favorites. The video by Wesch, "The Machines is Us/ing Us" was very fast-paced and jazzy. I read all the various perspectives on 2.0 and was intrigued by the changes that are here already and those that are just around the corner.

Examples of topics that particularly interested me were: the decline of our traditional print collections, my need to read "OCLC Pattern Recongnition and User Perception" which is sitting in my office, tagging and e-journals for WorldCat, people who are talking about 3.0 and 4.0 and I'm still learning 2.0 (!), the phenominal school library in Michigan with many e-books, TVs, computers, etc. and which has a budget of only $100,000, the capability of checking nearby libraries for materials yours doesn't have (Santa Monica Public Library), OCLC PICA, and the growth of OCLC from its inception, when I knew it, into a mega-database with over 64 million records representing 111 countries and territories. It's all very daunting and exciting.

No comments: